wintin Forum Index wintin
Wintin Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.10 -- mud lines sometimes recieved in pieces...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zephyr
Juggernaut

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: 2.10 -- mud lines sometimes recieved in pieces... Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a wintin bug or just something muds (or maybe just Aardwolf) do sometimes -- I haven't heard from anyone with other clients and this issue though.

If I do something that triggers a big block of mud text (like list my inventory when I'm carrying a lot of items or a scan command when there's a ton of nearby rooms and mobs) the big block of text generated, if it's long enough, seems to arrive in pieces, split mid-line on one of the later lines.

This is almost entirely imperceptible unless you have an #action or a #sub or #gag or whatever triggering on one of those split lines, and then it becomes apparent each piece gets processed separately, even though it's really one line with a single line return at the very end. This can really cause some head-scratching debugging sessions until you realize what's occurring.

Anyway, I confirmed this issue by putting this in the received line event handler:
wintin.SendToScreen("\r\nechoed: " + et.ClearText + "\r\n");

Using that I can do a scan, in this case one that returns 136+ lines from mud. Here's what a piece of it looks like normally starting with line #56:
Code:
South from here you see:
     - (T)(R) An apprentice thief
And here's the same section run through the received line event handler described above:
Code:
South from here you see:

echoed: South from here you see:

echoed:      - (T)(R) An apprentice thief

- (T)(R)
echoed:      - (T)(R)
              An apprentice thief

echoed: An apprentice thief

As you can see, line #59 gets received/interpreted in pieces. I've been experiencing this issue in all versions of wintin I've used, but in the short time I've been investigating it more closely, I think the problem occurs pretty consistantly on large blocks of text. I think it may always be in the same place of the the exact same block of text.

Does some buffer run out of room if the mud sends too much at once? I get the impression that it might be something storing the raw mud text with all the ANSI color codes since I think it occurs sooner with a big block of extremely gaudily multi-colored text -- not positive though.
zephyr
Juggernaut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to update this, since I was logged in to update another thread of mine.

I worked around this issue months ago by adding a line buffer to the few scripts where this problem actually occurred (scan reformat script, sell all script and a prompt scraping script). This works fine, but it would still be good to find out if this is an issue with the client or my mud.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wintin Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: