wintin Forum Index wintin
Wintin Discussion Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2.07 -- clicked <send> = changed window focus behavior

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zephyr
Juggernaut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: 2.07 -- clicked <send> = changed window focus behavior Reply with quote

Clicking a <send> link in an #htmlpopup permanently (well at least until the client is restarted) alters window focus behavior in a way that is detrimental to mudding.

How to reproduce:

Delete defaultwindow.wnd and defaultscripts.ws so you’re starting with a clean slate.
Code:
#htmlpopup foo
#htmlpopup bar

Now if you enter the following, you’ll see the expected behavior:
Code:
#sendtowin foo {<send #showme Hello!>click</send>};#sendtowin bar {<p>bar</p>}

The foo window gets the expected link, the bar window the expected text -- focus remains on the client’s text entry bar. If you repeat the command over and over it will continue to behave as expected.

Now click the <send> link in foo. As a quick aside here, you’ll notice when the link is clicked focus stays in the foo window. IMO this isn’t a desirable behavior and the <send> command really should restore focus to the client’s text entry box.

Anyway, clicking that <send> link has now permanently changed the window focus behavior. To see what I mean, enter this one more time:
Code:
#sendtowin foo {<send #showme Hello!>click</send>};#sendtowin bar {<p>bar</p>}
You’ll notice now every #sendtowin glues focus to the foo window. Typing has no effect until you manually restore focus to the text entry bar or the main window tab.

You can imagine the problems this would cause in the middle of combat, for example, if the MUD sends a message that triggers one of your actions and then that causes this behavior.
zephyr
Juggernaut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small update to this. I haven't tested this idea, but I think this focus stealing issue may have nothing to do with send and may just be a problem with #htmlpopups and #htmlwindows in general.. so that it would be the root of that other focus stealing issue I posted too.

My speedwalk script loads a local map image into an #htmlwindow for the area I'm speedwalking too. As I've become more comfortable with the areas on the MUD I play on I've had the focus stealing issue less frequently and it's easier to kind of see when it starts up. Basically, it's when I click the Map #htmlwindow's tab and scroll around (using the scrollbars)... then every time I run a speedwalk through my script afterward, when it loads the area map into the #htmlwindow, focus will be on that window, even though it won't be the currently selected tab (so it's not visible). I can verify this by hitting the right arrow cursor a bunch of times and then switching to the map tab, and the map will be scrolled a ways to the right.

So, maybe it's that interacting with an #htmlwindow or #htmlpopup at all (or perhaps interacting with it in specific ways like clicking a link, or using the scrollbars) will cause all future updates to that window to steal focus to the window?

As an aside, I used to think the only way to fix the behavior once it started was to restart the client, but reloading the window configuration file will also undo it.
zephyr
Juggernaut

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a further quick update.

I've been using the reloading the window configuration file workaround for months now. But I just noticed an interesting side effect of it. Each time I do it, the wintin process consumes like another 6 MB or so. This memory usage never gets released until I restart the client.

The side effect of this is, if I have the client up for weeks on end it can end up consuming over a GB of ram Shocked. (because I probably reload the window configuration file once or twice an hour). Not a big deal, but I thought you'd be interested since maybe it could be considered a memory leak (that requires my weird usage to actually be an issue).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wintin Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: